Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL "endorses" cut numbers

To: "David Pruett" <k8cc@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL "endorses" cut numbers
From: "Georgens, Tom" <Tom.Georgens@netapp.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 04:14:14 -0700
I really do not understand this argument.

First of all, thank you to Dave for taking the time to make the position
clear and for his service to the contest community by volunteering to
check logs.

However, I must wonder what is the benefit of enforcing this point.

For the record, I do not send cut serial numbers, but I do send 5NN.  I
mildly prefer that people I work send me cut numbers and I almost always
convert them to numbers before I log them.  Even if I do not, I think
Writelog does it for me.

The logic of sending cut numbers is to achieve brevity through the use
of unambiguous abbreviations for the numbers.  If the abbreviation is
unambiguous (i. e. its translation is obvious) then why should it be
inaccurate to log it?  Likewise, if it is considered inaccurate to log
cut numbers, then why should it be OK to send them?  Simply put, if it
is OK to send, it should be just as OK to log.  I see no benefit to the
sport, the integrity of the results, or the quality of the operating by
trying to be a stickler on this point.

The example has been brought up to me about, hypothetically, KL7XX
operating from Tennessee in the 10 meter contest.  If he sends 5nn TN,
is he number nine from Alaska or the state of Tennessee?  In this case,
I would contend that the use of cut numbers is not unambiguous and
therefore not a valid contact.  However, I do not think this renders all
logging of cut numbers as inaccurate.

I respect Dave and his commitment to adjudicating the contest.  If it is
too hard to adjudicate with cut numbers, then I think it is reasonable
to restrict their use in the logs.  However, if it is purely a case if
accuracy or legality, I must respectfully contend that there is no
upside to the sport in enforcing this trivial matter.

73, Tom W2SC/8P1A

QSL via 9919