Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest CQ format?

To: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest CQ format?
From: Dale Putnam <daleputnam@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 20:55:22 -0600
See below for comments please.--...   ...-- Dale - WC7S in Wy

> Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 10:18:44 -0400> To: cq-contest@contesting.com> From:
> btippett@alum.mit.edu> Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest CQ format?> > > >
> Rather than worry about saving a few> characters in a CQ or exchange, we
> might gain> more QSOs by paying attention to:> > 1. *Appropriate* sending
> speeds, realizing not> all potential repliers are hot-shot CW ops. I'm> often
> surprised to hear many otherwise well-> qualified ops who never comprehend
> this.> "Appropriate" depends on the situation and> comes through experience
> and experimentation.>
There are many times when a "hot-shot" op doesn't get to log this station,
because he/she didn't respond to a call in an appropriate manner.
> 2. Using enough RX bandwidth to hear the> off-frequency callers (often +/-
> 500 Hz or more).>
And using enough bandwidth in the rx can make the difference huge. The
judgement call as to wether the calling station didn't zero-beat, couldn't is
doesn't know how is simply immaterial. Log the Q, and move on. > 3. Pausing for
callers more than a few milliseconds> before beginning the next CQ.

See response of #1. If the calling station doesn't give a 4 character call time
to be heard at 35 -40 wpm, I am pretty much determined not to call twice. And
...AND if he calls me at the same rate later, and I respond matching his speed,
and he has to ask for a fill.... when the signals are way above the noise...
likely the Q will be wiped. > > Contests are won by operators who> efficiently
work the most callers in a given time> period. IMHO those are not necessarily
the> same operators sending cut numbers at> warp speeds. "Efficiently" above
includes> accuracy as well as speed. "Do it right the> first time" is a good
phrase from the quality> world that is worth remembering.

If you can't do it right the first time.. maybe a few hours of practice are in
order?

Thanks for all the good ... very well founded thoughts Bill.
C U in the next test too.
WC7S - Dale - Wy> > 73, Bill W4ZV > >