Re: [CQ-Contest] K3 initial comments

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] K3 initial comments
From: Steve Harrison <k0xp@dandy.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 20:00:07 +0000
At 09:27 AM 7/5/2007 -0700, Hank Garretson wrote:
>Note that some radios allow user selection of the tuning rate for RIT
>and VFO knobs.

uP-controlled ones, yes; earlier analog-ones, uh-uh  ;o(((((

>Selecting a slower tuning rate can help countervail small knob diameter.

The tuning rate is only a part of it; what bothers me is how my fingers,
after a few hours gripping that tiny knob, appear to become molded around
the teeny-dinky thing (and I almost have to pry them loose with the other
hand). And the joints become stiff  ;o(  So a large knob helps alleviate
that, in addition to allowing you to shift your fingers around a bit and
still control the knob adequately.

When it comes to evaluating the ergonomics of radios under design, I think
the manufacturers should be hiring Sumo wrestlers to test proposed panel
controls and layouts; if THEY can fit their paws on the controls, then the
controls are likely to be large enough for the rest of us  8-))))))

Steve, K0XP