Re: [CQ-Contest] Pre-emptive QSLing - was:Contesters and LOTW

To: "'CQ-Contest'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Pre-emptive QSLing - was:Contesters and LOTW
From: "Bill Parry" <BPARRY@RGV.RR.COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 22:27:01 -0500
Interesting comments about QSLing. I QSL "pre-emptive-ly" as well, although
I think I mean this in a little differently way. When I get a card from a
station, my logging program pulls up all of the QSOs that I have had with
that station. I have space to print as many as 10 QSOs on a QSL and I select
as many of the QSOs from that station as possible. When I print out the QSL
it marks all of those QSOs as having been confirmed. I don't send a second
QSL for a confirmed QSO except for very good reason. Many DX stations send a
QSL for every QSO even after 10-15 QSOs for the same mode and band!

When I really want a card, I send a self addressed envelope and 2 dollars or
2 IRCs. All other cards get sent back the same way I get them.

I do QSLs at the end of each month so it doesn't get too tiresome. I also
upload to LOTW and E-QSL at the end of the month. I respond to all QSLs and
within the parameters that I mentioned and probably spend 1.5 hours per
month on QSLs, including bureau, direct, LOTW and E-QSL. This process must
work pretty well because I have far less than 20 pounds of QSLs per year and
I have made many QSOs over the last several years.

I think that QSLing is a choice. If you choose not to QSL, don't. Put a note
on QRZ.Com that you do not QSL or that you only QSL through E-qsl or LOTW.
Ask the bureau to put your cards in the trash. Ham radio is a hobby not a
business, it's supposed to be fun. If you do decide to QSL, plan a strategy
that will maximize your efforts and enjoyment.

Adios,

Bill, W5VX