Re: [CQ-Contest] [Fwd: [RTTY] JARTS RTTY this weekend]

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] [Fwd: [RTTY] JARTS RTTY this weekend]
From: Jeff Stai <jds@twistedoak.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 14:43:53 -0700

Jeff Stai wrote:>
> I myself will call a short QRL? in RTTY on a potentially clear frequency.
> Send back your RRR or QRL
> in CW and I will listen for you and gladly QSY a few hundred Hz.

It was just pointed out to me that a CW op will have no way of knowing that it
is a "QRL?"

That is correct. A CW op will not know if it is "QRL?" or "HIHO" - but consider:

1. It is your frequency so you (the CW op) have been there for a while.

2. It is a very short transmission, only 4 characters.

3. A well behaved RTTY op will send "QRL?" as his/her first transmission on an
apparently clear
frequency.

So... if you are using a frequency, and you suddenly hear a short transmission,
make the assumption
that it is QRL? and answer appropriately. A well behaved RTTY op who hears a
well behaved CW op will
move.

I'm just trying to point out a way we can maybe all get along a little better.
I agree it is not a
perfect protocol and doesn't address every possibility, but it is a start.

73 and GL - jeff wk6i
--
Jeff Stai               jds@twistedoak.com
Twisted Oak Winery      http://www.twistedoak.com/