Re: [CQ-Contest] Battle of the Cheaters

To: <k-zero-hb@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Battle of the Cheaters
From: "Jim Neiger" <n6tj@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 21:39:12 -0800
I've been having "private inquiries" from quite a few about this, and with
some thoughtful suggestions and ideas and questions.

I wasn't going to say much more about it, in a public domain, until I read
this claptrap that Hans K0HB posted.

Incredibly uninformed, and for K0HB and K6LA and others who ask:  there are
such things as libel, and slander, and defamation,  and I choose not to
state here what I, and quite a few others know to be the truth.  It's
amazing to me that so many are not aware that last year's CQ WW CW SO/AB No.
1 claimed score was ultimately DQed, and with a minimal amount if interest
and reading of what is available to 100% of the world to read, all could
learn.

Of course, for those who elect not to play in the ultimate arenas of
competition, the interests are not the same, and it's certainly
understandable that they will neither know, or care.  But it doesn't mean
that the problem isn't very real.  I suppose if you don't invest thousands
of $$, many hours of time for station work and travel, and choose to compete
for World top honors, you couldn't care less if your effort went down the
drain because the winner didn't play by the rules.

It's like the old QUESTION:  What's the difference between ignorance and
apathy?  ANSWER:  I don't know and I don't care.

I just received a phone call from Finland, from one of the world's top
operators, expressing his concern, and of those of his fellow countrymen (am
I going to be on K6LA and K0HB's ridiculous list, now, because I choose not
to say who called?) conveying their equal concern of the path that
contesting is on, due to the ills perpetrated by these outright cheaters.

A call I will mention is that of Al,  4L5A / D4B who telephoned me the other
morning, and even though this cheating was paramount in his leaving
contesting, Al still very much cares, knows it is rampant, and fears for the
future of contesting.  Does anyone care that D4B left contesting, while on
the very pinnacle of performance, because of this?   I do.

We can all continue to shine it on, or do something about it.  What can be
done?

1.  Permanent or 5 years no participation once DQed

2.  Set-up of wideband recording receivers around the world.

3.  Submittal of tape recordings by those wishing to compete for world
honors.

4. On-site inspectors, very much like WRTC.

5. Open up log checking and Committee decisions beyond the hands of one or
two.

6. Turn off packet (THIS will never happen; packet is too popular and many
probably wouldn't know how to operate without)

Just some senile ramblings from someone who's been there and got a

Jim Neiger   N6TJ  9Y4AA   ZD8Z