Re: [CQ-Contest] Battle of the Cheaters

To: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Battle of the Cheaters
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 13:06:28 -0700
Hi, Pete.

I'm not really knowledgeable on software-defined radio, but I think you
can accomplish the same thing quite cheaply (less than $30 or so?) with
an SDR front end like the Softrock and the free PowerSDR software.  With
a decent sound card you can supposedly record up to 192 KHz bandwidth in
real time to your computer and analyze any portion of it later just by
tuning through it with PowerSDR.  The price is right for there to be a
LOT of such monitors out there.

Probably a log checker's nightmare, though.  Think of all the extra work
that might bring them, both in terms of expanding their own review
options and in terms of all the "help" they might get from other folks
perusing dozens or hundreds of recorded files after they get posted to
the internet.

It would sure make contest behavior (both good and bad) more
transparent, though.

73,
Dave   AB7E