Re: [CQ-Contest] re-newing the 10 meter contest

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] re-newing the 10 meter contest
From: Gary Sutcliffe <w9xt@unifiedmicro.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 06:51:59 -0600
I would definitely NOT support going to a grid square based scoring system
for the ARRL 10M Contest.

While it might seem like a good idea right now, in a few years it will
transform from a VHF-like contest into a DX-like contest.

As sunspots increase it will be easier to work stations in other continents
than to work a station in the next state. Why bother trying to pull out a
weak station a few hundred miles away for a point or two on back scatter or
meteor bursts when you can run JA's or Europe at 100+ per hour  for 10 or
20 points each?

Now it is tough to work the long ones. In a few years the long ones will be
easy and the short ones hard.

Leave it alone.

BTW, I do like the grid square scoring in Stew Perry.  On that one the long
ones are always hard!

73
Gary, W9XT

>   This could best be done by copying the scoring system of the Stew Perry
> Top Band Challenge and base scores on distance communicated rather than
> geographical location.  This would adjust for the concentrated amateur
> radio populations in some areas and encourage operation from more remote
> areas.
>
>CQ-Contest mailing list
>CQ-Contest@contesting.com

Gary Sutcliffe  W9XT