Re: [CQ-Contest] cheating with packet

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] cheating with packet
From: "Yuri VE3DZ" <ve3dz@rigexpert.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 10:46:23 -0500
LY3BA:"As I can see you and some others mixing up two very different things.
For me is absolutelly clear - ASSISTED means that you are not SINGLE
OPERATOR ("just a boy and his radios"., as K0HB said), you getting huge
support from hundreds operators around."

Gedas, IMO you are totally wrong. When you are Assisted you _MAY_  (or you
MAY NOT, when you don't want) use spotting assistance from DX Cluster (not
from physical human). And you still remain just one "guy with his radio".
MULTI OP  means that there are more than one "guy" operating. In this calss
"one guy" may run and the other "guy" may use huge
support from hundreds operators around" to work multipliers.
I see a huge difference here.
Sounds like when Multi Op stations use DX Clusters - it's sort of O.K. But
when Single Op uses cluster it's kind of shameful...

What if a guy would work a multiplier not after 5 minutes after spot, but
after, let say 22 minutes after the DX was spotted? Would it necessarily
mean that actual guy found it on his own?
I don't think so.
What time fram do you think we need to establish to mark that actual a guy a
packet cheater? 5 minutes? 10 minutes? 20 minutes?

"Real guys don't use no stinky clusters..." :-))

When I was at ZF2NT in the ARRL DX 2003, we did not need not only DX
cluster, but even a second rig ( we won M/S category). It was just run, run,
run... I believe same situation is when you operate for instance from ZD8,
P4 or 8P...

Don't get me wrong. I am not offering to get rid of un-assisted category
anymore, since a lot of (old) guys still want to be on their own with their
radios. All I'm saying is maybe we should pay more attention to assisted
categories (awards, recognition), and that might reduce DX Cluster cheating
in some way.

73 Yuri  VE3DZ