Re: [CQ-Contest] cheating with packet

To: Robert Naumann <w5ov@w5ov.com>,'Russell Hill' <rustyhill@earthlink.net>,'Yuri VE3DZ' <ve3dz@rigexpert.net>,Untitled <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] cheating with packet
From: Mike Fatchett W0MU <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 06:54:51 -0700
After some more research...

ARRL's HF Rule states:

 2.2.1.Use of spotting assistance or nets (operating arrangements involving
other individuals, DX-alerting nets, packet, etc) not physically located at
the station is permitted.

CQ WPX/WW Rules:

(d) Assisted/with Packet (SINGLE-OP-ASSISTED ALL HIGH or SINGLE-OP-ASSISTED
ALL LOW): Same as 1(a) except
the passive use (no self-spotting) of DX spotting nets or other forms of DX
alerting is permitted. Stations in this category will compete only with
other Assisted stations.

CQ has gone further and it is simply assisted with packet.  Any other form
would move you into an new class.

The ARRL has a bit more wiggle room, but does not allow for help to come
from inside the shack.  What does physically located at the station mean?
At the stations address, within the operational circles for all equipment or
just the shack where the operators and rigs are located?

I stand corrected by virtue of the rules.....I think CQ's rules are clearer
and limit the they type of assistance (Packet Only) that can be used.

I still agree with the original poster.  Why does it matter if the spot
comes from the next table over or across the country?  If it is multi-op in
one case would it not be multi-op in the other?  Obviously the rules state
otherwise but why the distinction?  If the other person on the next table is
not logging, holding a freq, operating or otherwise, why would that be
multi-op?