Re: [CQ-Contest] Using ON4KST-chat

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Using ON4KST-chat
From: Zack Widup <w9sz@prairienet.org>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 07:26:38 -0600 (CST)
Either I'm daffy, or a lot of other people seem to be having a hard time
grasping basic concepts.

My idea is - if you are somehow receiving data from ANOTHER live operator
in real-time during the contest, you're not a single operator.  You're
either assisted or multi-op. Packet, chat rooms, telephone calls, text
messages, etc. - during the contest period, these are either illegal by
some rules or place you in a different category than single operator.

Using any tools that are not coming from a living person in real time
do not place you in these categories.  Looking at sked sheets made BEFORE
the contest, looking at operating tools that do not directly give you a
shot at a specific QSO with another station (propagation charts, Hepburn
forecast, callsign databases, super check partial, etc. etc.) still leave
you as a Single-Op.

Skeds made before the contest guarantee nothing.  In one VHF contest I
stupidly made the mistake of making a sked for 1830Z, half an hour after
contest start.  I didn't get set up at my portable site until 1930Z. I
eventually stumbled across the station I'd made the sked with, on the
air.

Am I all wet? Does this maks sense or not?

73, Zack W9SZ