Re: [CQ-Contest] Dumb Cut Number

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Dumb Cut Number
From: "Art Boyars" <art.boyars@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 21:47:22 -0500
I, too, was momentarily confused by PY5/OK5MM's "5NN AK".  It must have taken
me four or five seconds to work it out (He can't be in Alaska, and that part of
the report is supposed to be numerals.  So he must be using cut numbers.  So
"A" = 1.  But "K" isn't a cut number???  Aha! "1 K")

Point #1  (or should I say Point #A?): It used to be more common than it is
now, but many high-rate DX stations use easily recognizable power reports.  It
helps S&P'ers recognize who the DX is, even if the DX does not send his call
every QSO (gasp!).  Example: "NNN" (still heard this year, and certainly longer
than "K")

Point #2: I think we should cut the guy some slack.  How would YOU like to have
a callsign that long in the Contest?

Point #3:  The people complaining about it must be much better at multi-tasking
than I am.  I only operated four hours, and I did not have the time to get
upset about it.  I think a good op could make several more QSOs in the time it
takes to post here.  (Another item to add to the "If you are doing xxx, you are
losing the contest.)

Point #4:  The guy sending "AK" was getting a double bonus: he saved the time
on each report, AND he got some guys so flustered that they failed to go work
his competition.  What a genius!

73, Art K3KU
Tune for maximum fun