Re: [CQ-Contest] Cheating with Technology

To: "KR6X Leigh S. Jones" <kr6x@kr6x.com>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Cheating with Technology
From: "Colleen Brakob" <cbrakob@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 22:00:28 -0600

> Yes, I'm going to have to critique the incautious language here.
> Essentially
> the K0HB interpretation cannot be implemented because either it is
> ill-conceived or it is at least poorly communicated.  I certainly couldn't
> interpret this language correctly if it were part of the contest rules.
>
> Please help us, Hans.  We'd like to understand your moral outrage or
> whatever it is, but you're going to have to understand that, whatever
> technological advancements we may encounter along our way to the
> future are going to have to be dealt with in clear-minded fashion with
> language in the rules that can be understood unambiguously.

No outrage, moral or otherwise, Leigh.  But I'll certainly admit to
inadequate language skills!

Put into my thoughts into another frame of reference, I tend to consider
the essence of a single-operator contest effort to consist of two "buckets"
of "stuff".

Bucket #1 is station/radio/antenna farm/log-keeping "stuff".  Anything
thing in this bucket within the law (power output, band limits, etc) ought
otherwise be free of regulation.  If you use 1 radio or a dozen radios
should be simply a matter of personal choice and the skills I can develop
in that regard.  Any techonology/software/hardware WITHIN THE BOUNDARIES OF
YOUR STATION which puts signals on the air, or brings a signal to your ears
for interpretation and transcription into a log (wooden or mechanical
pencil, computer, or chiseled into stone tablets) is fair game.

Bucket #2 contains "information" which ultimately translates into Q's
completed.  In my view (emphasis on "my") the only information in this
bucket should be that which is gleaned "off the air" by the single person
operating the station.  As long as the information in that bucket remains
un-polluted by outside assistance (such as packet, K5ZD
"super-check-partial" cheat sheets, auto-populated exchange elements,
etc.), then the log qualifies as a "single-operator, un-assisted entry",
regardless of the technology contained in Bucket #1.

73, de Hans, K0HB/W7
"Just a boy and his radios"