Re: [CQ-Contest] Cheating with Technology

To: Ron Notarius W3WN <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Cheating with Technology
From: Zack Widup <w9sz@prairienet.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 09:08:41 -0500 (CDT)
Yes, I've always understood "assisted" to mean "got help in making a
specific QSO from another source external to the shack that was ACTIVE
DURING THE CONTEST." In other words, skeds made before the contest don't
make you assisted.  Super check partials don't make you assisted.
Spectrum monitors on your rig don't make you assisted.  Computer logging
doesn't make you assisted. Memory keyers don't make you assisted. Having
someone bring you dinner doesn't make you assisted (it's quite a stretch
to say that helped you make a QSO.) Same with having someone help you
repair your downed antenna wire. Only in a very broad sense would that
even approach being "assisted."

Packetcluster makes you assisted.  Haveing a friend tell you on your
frequency "VY1JA is on 14038" makes you assisted.  Having someone send you
a packet note, e-mail or giving you a phone call telling you someone is on
a given frequency is assisted.  Webcams that enable you to see the
operating frequency of the station on the cam and hear who he's working
makes you assisted.

Just my tuppence. "One small voice ..."

73, Zack W9SZ