Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting using remote stations

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting using remote stations
From: "Ron Notarius W3WN" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 17:47:20 -0400
I would say that there's a big difference -- in intent -- between:

-- An amateur who chooses the location for a remote station based on the
specifics of that location (to take advantage of a farm for four squares and
rhombics, or for a relatively rare location for multiplier credit, etc.)
 and

-- An amateur who sets up a remote station based on the limitations of his
living conditions (a rental that doesn't permit antennas or transmitters, a
retirement community doing the same, onerous CC&R's, etc.)

Before we bought the new QTH last year, W3WH made some suggestions to me to
consider for a remote station, since an antenna system at the rental
townhouse was not possible (I tried).  One was to consider renting a very
small space, virtually a closet, at one of the "self-serve u-store" outfits.
Equip it with a rack for the equipment and remote control computer, put a
vertical on the roof, and get hooked into the internet somehow (wireless,
perhaps?) for control purposes.  Luckily, the house came through long before
I had to give serious consideration to this thought.  Now... would you
really force someone who's sole opportunity to operate was a situation akin
to this, to travel to that remote location to operate in a contest?

Sorry, no sale.  I'm with Bob on this one.

73