Re: [CQ-Contest] Expansion of Skimmer Subject

To: "'Joe Subich, W4TV'" <w4tv@subich.com>, <stan@aqity.org>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Expansion of Skimmer Subject
From: "Paul J. Piercey" <p.piercey@nl.rogers.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 12:53:42 -0000

You hit the nail on the head directly, Joe.

No one is going to win a contest using a code reader against guys who copy
in their heads. Code readers just aren't that accurate. They do allow guys
who either don't know code, don't want to know code or have difficulty
decyphering code to play as well. I doubt these guys aspire to get to the
top of the list. Frankly, there's no way for them to do that without being
able to copy in their head.

This fear of automated stations is really quite misplaced. As long as all
technology is used to benefit communications between humans, and this is
reflected in the rules of contests, then it should resolve these issues for
the most part.

Code readers have been around for decades and haven't ruined CW contests.
Why would they do it now? In fact, I would suppose that participation in CW
contests has increased, despite the move to no-code licences, due to the use
of code readers. I think that a device that automatically responds to what
is copied by a code reader to be more of a problem. Simply DO NOT develop
this device and automated stations will not be an issue.

73 -- Paul VO1HE