Re: [CQ-Contest] Web Poll (Signal reports yes/no)

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Web Poll (Signal reports yes/no)
From: "David Kopacz" <david.kopacz@aspwebhosting.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 14:45:58 -0500
I had a KI4 work me in WPX SSB this past weekend and being a new
contester I had to help him with the exchange.

Several minutes later (app. 10) he called me again and asked which state
I was located in. I politely informed him we were not in a state but
were located on the Island of Jamaica in the Caribbean. He got pretty
excited having learned he worked a DX contact so I took a few seconds
longer to give him the website address and QSL information.

The time it took me to make the extra effort of being courteous had
little to no impact on our score (see 3830 for new NA record) however,
in my opinion, had a significant impact on how new hams view the hobby,
amateur radio and contesting in general.

Contesting is a blast, but let's not forget, we were all new many years
ago.

David ~ 6Y1V

  I'm thinking about the Willy Dilly 4s from whom getting a serial
number is like pulling feathers out of a frog....  I get a *genuine
signal report* followed by QTH, WX, type of truck he's driving, his
favorite dog's name, how much he likes to hear YLs in contests, and a
query about my QTH, and his audio quality.  Eeeeks!!!

  I'd rather get a signal report, genuine or otherwise, than a life
story.

  73/88, Sandy N7RQ (aka WA7XX, N7AP, N7A)