Re: [CQ-Contest] Rule Change Debate on Skimmer

To: Contest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Rule Change Debate on Skimmer
From: Michael Dinkelman <mwdink@eskimo.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 10:08:25 -0700
> Take Sweepstakes and CQWW as examples.  The most prestigious category, by
> far, is single-op unassisted.  If CW Skimmer is banned in this category,
> the temptation to cheat will be almost overwhelming.  In SS, 50 additional
> QSOs over the last 12 hours can make the difference between finishing fifth
> or first.  In CQWW, an extra 75-100 multipliers would be a similarly huge
> advantage.

Personally I would expect a higher standard of behavior from those who
can TRULY aspire to
the top ten and while they may certainly have a willingness to push to
the limits within the rules,
not a step beyond...

1) if the skimmer is allowed, they will use it
2) if the skimmer is not allowed, they won't

for a TRUE competitor, temptation has nothing to do with, just the rules
.... but then, I'm just naive.  (and don't burst my bubble :>)

cheers
dink, n7wa

p.s. notice this email makes NO statement whether it should or should
not be allowed