Re: [CQ-Contest] Rule Change Debate on Skimmer

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Rule Change Debate on Skimmer
From: "Tod -ID" <tod@k0to.us>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 19:52:58 -0600
I am not sure this algorithm involving number of SS checks in the top 100
scores can be used as a 'truth' for this debate.

> Finally, I think Skimmer will increase interest in CW contesting for new
ops. Try counting the number of checks
> greater than 1985 in the top 100 in CW SS sometime...

I operated in the 1957 SS from the Michigan Section. {Back when it was 40
hours (?? I think) out of two 48 hour week ends}. My check then (and now)
was 52. The comparable check to 1985 for the 2007 SS would be a check of
1930 in 1956 SS. Since there had been a big surge in licensees as a result
of the "Novice give-away program that ended amateur radio as we know it", I
think there were a lot of 52 through 57 checks handed out. There probably
was a shortage of 41 through 44 checks. I really doubt more than one or two
of the 52 through 57 checks made it into the first 100 in the standings.
Since the total entries would have been much fewer then than now I suppose
the first 100 should be scaled back to the first 50 or so.

I think looking at the number of checks within a couple of years of the year
of the contest might be a better measure of whether or not there is
increased participation by new operators.

I would like to comment in passing that adjusting the contesting rules to
accommodate new technology is one thing; justifying the adjustment on the
basis of 'marketing' CW to amateur licensees seems to me be way outside the
contesting concept. I would expect to hear such conversation at an ARRL
Board meeting, but not as a part of a serious rule change proposal.

Tod, K0TO