Re: [CQ-Contest] The Skimmer Rule Challenge

To: "VR2BrettGraham" <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] The Skimmer Rule Challenge
From: "Stan Stockton" <k5go@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 12:02:45 -0500
Great analysis, Brett!

You are exactly correct.  The rules are clear, however it seems there is
a desire among some to either use the correct reading of what is written
OR twist it into something it does not say (whichever best works) in
order to justify a particular position having to do with this issue.

One question that I don't think has been asked is when were these rules
written and whether the person or committee who wrote them is still
around.

It would be interesting to see if the original author of the rules
honestly thought a single operator should be able to work from a list of
stations he had nothing to do with finding as long as the information
did not come from a third party person.  If it could have been
envisioned that a receiver could copy all callsigns on the entire band
or bands that were received at the station's location and put them on
the computer screen, would that have been within the intent of the rule.
I think not.

Stan, K5GO