[CQ-Contest] The Skimmer Rule Challenge - New Category?

To: Jim Preston <jpreston1@cox.net>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] The Skimmer Rule Challenge - New Category?
From: Stan Stockton <k5go@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 20:27:19 -0400
Following is an idea that would perhaps please more people:

To address the discussions about whether it is fair that this operator can
afford two radios versus only one for someone else, whether this one has
mastered the ability to use two radios or not, whether this operator has Yagi
antennas versus dipoles for another, whether you send with a straight key or
computer, use paper and pencil to log, are on the East Coast versus the
Midwest,  versus the West Coast, whether you are able to copy code on your own
or want to use a code reader, etc  how about creating one more category for
those who want to compete with multipliers based on everything that can be
imagined.

For those who want to compete in this category, it will be like playing in a
golf tournament where handicaps are allowed.  If you had a 18 handicap and were
to shoot 85 you could say on most days that you beat Tiger Woods.

For illustration purposes only:

One Radio - QSO Points times 100%
SO2R - QSO Points times 80%
Various Levels of ERP by band with different multipliers for different levels
of ERP
CW Sent manually - 100%
CW Sent with computer - 90%
Code copied by operator - 100%
Code copied by code reader - 90%
Packet Spots - 85%
Skimmer Spots - 70%
No help by anyone or anything to spot stations - 100%

Etc, etc.  With this format and most everything that can be imagined for which
to handicap the effort, everyone who wanted to compete in this category could
do so feeling it was somewhat of a level playing field.  Perhaps this would
become the most popular category of entry - Certificates to the top 50 in the
country.

Regardless, the current most popular category of entry could be left for the
current majority, who want to compete in the traditional way.

There are those who would never enter a golf tournament where handicaps were
factored and others who would only enter if they were.  This would give more
options for those who want something different from what we have now and only
be one more category.

I believe it would attract more people.  The multiplier factors could be
tweaked in a couple of years to be as fair as possible.

Stan, K5GO