Re: [CQ-Contest] Log checking errors

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Log checking errors
From: "Mark Beckwith" <n5ot@n5ot.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 16:29:52 -0500
I read KY1V's post:

> Are the log checking program open source? If so, how can we access the
> source code?

And I read N6TR's original post:

> Thought I would share my perspective about log checking errors.  As
> most of you know, I have been doing computer log checking now
> for some 20 years.  [snip]  not ALL of the errors in the process
> will be fixed. [snip] this doesn't happen often enough to invalidate
> any of the results.

I appreciate all the work being done over the past decades to make our
results more meaningful.  I can think of no instance in the past 20 years
when any of these technologically superior solutions have resulted in the
finishing order being incorrect, so I believe Tree is right.

David, the programs are not open source, and I frankly wouldn't want them to
be.  We all know there are unscrupulous competitors out there, and showing
them the code would just make it easier for them to beat the system.  That
would be an undesirable outcome.  I trust the people running these shows to
do the right thing, and I also trust that they are among the most skilled
for the task anyway.  Certainly what the programs do is a matter of public
record and has been stated in this forum nearly countless times.

Mark, N5OT