Re: [CQ-Contest] Learning Morse

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Learning Morse
From: <k8gt@mi.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 17:30:30 +0000
Hi Rick,

Everyone has made very good suggestions for the basics.  Certainly after
learning the all the characters reasonably well at a decent speed, the
suggestion of Morse Runner is a good one.  It is a lot of fun, but not as much
as a real on the air contest.

One thing that no one mentioned but is important if you were physically working
out or running or playing tennis, etc. is stretching your muscles beforehand.

When I was studying for my Extra Class code test at 20 wpm in early 1990, I
stretched my mental muscles beforehand.  I sat down at the computer and set the
speed at about 30 to 35 wpm and sat back for about 3 to 4 minutes and just
listened, not writing down anything, and not even trying to decode in my head.
Just listen to the rhythm, it gets your brain 'synced' to a faster speed.  Then
I set my speed at 25 to 27 wpm, and I could then copy and write easier than I
could doing it cold.  I got my speed up much quicker than I thought I would.
Passing the test at 20 wpm was a piece of cake.  Then got into contesting and
my speed is up to 35 to 40 or more on receive, less on sending because I don't
practice that as much.

Good luck, it is very much worth the effort, and see you in the contests.

73, Gerry,  K8GT