Re: [CQ-Contest] SS SSB And Your Callsign In The Exchange

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SS SSB And Your Callsign In The Exchange
From: "Paul O'Kane" <pokane@ei5di.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 00:20:42 -0000
From: "Kutzko, Sean, KX9X" <kx9x@arrl.org>
.

> .. your own call MUST be a part of the standard exchange of
> information along with the other station's call, QSO number,
> Precedence, Check and Section.

As a programmer, I try to avoid inconsistency, redundancy
or repetition :-)

My question is - why MUST the call be part of the exchange
when it's already "exchanged" as part of the QSO initiation
process?  The second call exchange serves little or no useful
purpose - it is effectively a handicap imposed on all QSOs.

Of course, exchanging the call twice may help to reduce
logging errors.  This would apply equally to the QSO Number,
Precedence, Check and Section - but there is no requirement
to repeat those.

If "own call" is indeed an essential part of the standard
exchange of information, why then is it omitted from the
exchange fields in the Cabrillo specification for SS QSOs?

Perhaps I just don't understand?  :-)

73,
Paul EI5DI?