Re: [CQ-Contest] SS SSB And Your Callsign In The Exchange

To: <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SS SSB And Your Callsign In The Exchange
From: "Mark Beckwith" <n5ot@n5ot.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 18:21:26 -0600
> I may have been dreaming again, but didn't Sean from the ARRL post on
> here before the contest  saying that your callsign during the
> exchange was required ????

Sean said the callsign is part of the exchange.  Sean said the rules did NOT
say when you had to exchange the callsign.  The rules suggest an order for
the exchange.  In the suggested order, the callsign comes after the
precedence and before the check.

Sean said "we're not going to disqualify you if you send all the items in
the non-standard order" then explained why he thought it was a good idea to
send them in the standard order.

Ops who sent their callsigns in a way that the receiving operator logged
their callsign, but who did not put their callsign after their precedence
and before their check, have satisfied the exchange requirement and are not
in violation the rules.  If the other op got your call, then you obviously
exchanged it with them at some point, albeit out of order.

After Sean stated all this so clearly, the discussion is about whether or
not it is a good operating technique or a bad operating technique to not put
your call in the standard order.  I personally think sending your call when
it is expected, after the precedence and before the check, is the best
choice, and I don't think omitting it gains any advantage in reality.  Or to
quote Sean: "why would you want to?"

Mark, N5OT