Re: [CQ-Contest] SS SSB And Your Callsign In The Exchange

To: "CQ-Contest Reflector" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SS SSB And Your Callsign In The Exchange
From: "Paul O'Kane" <pokane@ei5di.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 08:50:55 -0000
From: "Ward Silver" <hwardsil@gmail.com>

EI5DI said:

>> The required repetition of the callsign is effectively
>> a handicap on contesters, and some are "cheating" by
>> not repeating it.  Is it time to review this rule?

"Ward Silver" replied

> No, it is NOT a "handicap" - it is the required exchange.

When posting to cq-contest, I try to be precise, and careful
in my choice of words, so that readers will focus on the point
I'm trying to make rather than trivia.

I've checked the meaning of "handicap".  One definition is -

  "a race or other contest in which certain disadvantages of
  weight, distance, time, etc., are placed upon competitors"

Being obliged to say/send the callsign one extra time
(compared to other HF contests) is a disadvantage of time.
As such, it is a handicap.  It is one that, in SS, applies
equally to all entrants.  Actually, now that I think about
it, it's more of a handicap for those with long callsigns.

> In order to play in this contest you have to make a required
> sequence of noises according to the contest rules.  Period.
> If you don't make the sequence of noises, you are not following
> the rule.

Agreed.  However, the handicap remains.

> .. Make the required sequence of noises or don't play or
> request a rule change.

I was quoted above as saying "Is it time to review this rule?".

73,
Paul EI5DI