[CQ-Contest] Rising IQ This Year

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Rising IQ This Year
From: Dennis OConnor <ad4hk2004@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 05:15:48 -0800 (PST)
I noted a definite rise in the average IQ in this years bash... (IQ = Idiot
Quotient)

The DX station answers the howling pack with "N2?" and gets dozens of
alphabetically challenged US stations calling him right over top of the "N2..."
station - and not one of them has an N or a 2 in their call...  Given that the
IQ's do not have a receiver that works I am baffled how they found the DX in
the first place or how they intend to copy him if he does answer them...

The DX station picks "k8do" out of the chaos gives me his exchange - the pack
keeps on howling - I squirt my exchange and before he can "qsl", the pack then
descends in full fury totally covering up the DX - even while he is
transmitting as nothing slows the IQ's down... By the time the pack lets up
enough to let me hear him again he is working someone else... I don't know if
he acknowledged me or not...

I am carefully sifting through the flotsam and jetsam in the spume between two
gargantuan flagship MM's doing full cannon broadsides against each other 300
cycles apart, and I hear a tiny little DX chirping away - a multiplier even...
I give him a call... He gets the "DO" and gives me a "DO?"... And at the
instant I go to hit F4 a second time, at least 3 or 4 IQ's start bellowing
forth their calls... Now I KNOW they did not hear the DX, that they only heard
me drop my call and know there is some DX down in the noise and they jump in
howling for blood... Of course I cannot hear the DX through them and they will
not stop howling as long as I am trying to work him..  The DX bird gets
frightened and flutters away...

And even in Europe the IQ is up... I heard a number EU signals that were wide
enough to walk across the Atlantic on.. There was no possibilty of copying
anyone near to them...

I could go on, but I won't... In these hard financial times, it is comforting
to know that something is going up, even if it is only the IQ's of those
operators...

OTOH, it was a fun bash... The K8DO contest station hit a new high with almost
600K points...  Looking forward to next year...

denny / k8do