Re: [CQ-Contest] Ham radio in Vietnam

To: jamesdavidcain@gmail.com, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Ham radio in Vietnam
From: W3DMB@aol.com
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 12:02:51 EST

Yes,  I operated from Quang-Tri [ Northernmost province bordering the  then
"DMZ" ] in Jan-March 1972...  Bootleg - until the US Army "Radio  Research
Unit" from Phu Bai  {army security agency} visited in early March  and saw a
Dipole with co-ax leading into my "hooch".. We had 12 Collins KWM-2A  Rigs in
the
supply room - not being used - as we had switched to new FM  rigs....
They didn't accept "just SWLing"  -  or MARS...  wonder  why..  considering
they had recordings of all transmissions may have been  one reason..  Their
equipment automatically recorded all stations in  the area for intel purposes.

Later, in April [during the Easter offensive] - all the rigs were  all
destroyed with thermite sheets..  I think now, I should have left them  in
place and
put a QSL card on top of the pile...  might have resulted  in a few more ham
friends in far places..  [ I assume there is a  statue of limitations on all
of this]

In 1968 I used the local bamboo to make some beams for our tactical FM
radios [close to 6 meters] - worked great...

Jerry
W3DMB     [check 55]
Butler PA
In a message dated 12/4/2008 9:05:29 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,