Re: [CQ-Contest] contesting amps

To: <ve4xt@mts.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] contesting amps
From: Richard Detweiler <rdetweil@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 09:25:31 -0600
I use,  AL1500s

All of them 100%.  Has more power than legally possible,  it just yawns at the
RTTY contests.

Tube is so over rated it will last a life time,

Only drawback is the manual tune,  it is not for the novice user,  must know
how to tune to keep the grid's low and antenna SWR's down.Best WishesRichard
K5SF> From: ve4xt@mts.net> To: cq-contest@contesting.com> Date: Thu, 18 Dec
2008 21:45:59 -0600> Subject: [CQ-Contest] contesting amps> > Hi all,> >
Considering an amp to replace my homebrew 4-400s.> > I'd like something
durable, not necessarily a California kilowatt and > self-contained (no
external HV PS). The more portable, the better.> > I get the sense that the
Ameritrons are more suited to the casual, crank it > up for that rare one,
DXer, but have doubts about their hardiness for 48 > hours of use.> > I like
the ACOMs, but don't (and won't) have the coin for a 2000A (though I >
certainly did like how that amp played at 6Y1V). The 1010 and 1000a are both >
appealing.> > WWYD (What would you do)? Something used? Something new?> > Am
going to be turning my TS-850SAT into part of this amp, so I won't be > making
any decis
 ions at all at least until the KW is sold.> > All opinions welcome.> > 73,