Re: [CQ-Contest] contesting amps

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] contesting amps
From: Pete Michaelis - N8TR <pete.n8tr@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 14:21:01 -0500
At 10:45 PM 12/18/2008, Kelly Taylor wrote:

>I get the sense that the Ameritrons are more suited to the casual, crank it
>up for that rare one, DXer, but have doubts about their hardiness for 48
>hours of use.

I would like to echo what others have said about the Ameritron AL-1200.
I have had mine since early in 1985 (serial # 089).  It has been used in
many, many contests both at my QTH and elsewhere without any problems.
Since the early 90's it has been driven by my Yaesu FT-1000
Being an early version it is a bit noisier than later ones but it
still puts out as
much power as the day I got it.

73 Pete - N8TR