Re: [CQ-Contest] contesting amps

To: "cq-contest reflector" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] contesting amps
From: "Dave Hachadorian" <K6LL@ARRL.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 18:24:15 -0000
I also like the AL-1500, although the blower is a little
loud when set on HIGH.

The amp requires about 50W of drive for full output, so you
have plenty of headroom with a 100W output rig, especially
necessary when going through bandpass filters for so2r. Most
transceivers will generate less IMD when you reduce their
power output.

I also have an amp that uses 4cx800a tetrodes, but tuning is
a lot more touchy. Screen current is VERY sensitive to the
setting of the loading capacitor, making tuneup a very
different process from a triode amp.

Happy holidays!

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ