Re: [CQ-Contest] Log checking and deadlines

To: "CQ-Contest@contesting. com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Log checking and deadlines
From: Michael Coslo <mjc5@psu.edu>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 14:48:06 -0500
On Feb 4, 2009, at 10:19 AM, Tom Haavisto wrote:

> Creating A standard in not easy.  That said, I think it is safe to say
> at this point that Cabrillo is THE standard that everyone uses (or
> could easily adopt as THE standard).  I have no doubt there was much
> gnashing of teeth, calls of conspiracy and all manner of bad things
> were said in creating ANY standard, not just Cabrillo.  Take a look at
> Open XML for a recent example.

What I would like is a text file with spaces or comma delimiters, that
has the expected field in the expected place, with standardized
sections for which the logging program cannot enter any ms-spelled
sections. I'd like every logging program to put out exactly the same
log for exactly the same input.

As it is now, I need to import the log into Excel, then save and
import it again into Filemaker. Then I move the fields around until
they are in the right sequence, then do the final import.

This isn't really that much a complaint against the log programs, as
it is a note to everyone that there is a real difference between
saying "Cabrillo is the standard, nuff said", and ground truth.

And XML is cool enough, but I think the use of a base text file is
more flexible in the end.

> As for paper logs, I do understand there are cases where that is what
> the participant has, and that is all they have.  The question in my
> mind is - why is the contest sponsor responsible for creating an
> electronic document from paper logs?  Will there be
> comments/corrections/notes/whatever of interest that will be lost in
> said conversion to an electronic format?  Most certainly.  At the same
> time, this data is not available in a pure data log.  This information
> was never recorded, and is not available.  Why should we expect this
> information with paper logs?
>
> Computers have been with us forever, and at this point in time I am
> having some trouble understanding why anyone would not have access to
> a computer/the ability to submit logs in an electronic format.  Even
> if there was an elderly person who still did his/her logging on paper,
> they should be able to press a family member/friend/neighbour to type
> up their log prior to submitting it.

I would no sooner eliminate paper logs than I would eliminate Tube
equipment, It's part of our Ham radio heritage, and as long as it is
only causing me the trouble of conversion, then it shouldn't be much
of a problem for anyone else.

side note: the paper logs I get tend to be much more accurate. The
only issue I've ever had is the rare misspelled section.

-73 de Mike N3LI -