[CQ-Contest] Summary Re: WARC band contest

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Summary Re: WARC band contest
From: Tack Kumagai <je1cka@chofu.jaxa.jp>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 16:36:37 +0900 (JST)
Thanks to all who respoded

I just wanted to have the source why the WARC band contest are not
presented. Is it prohibited or just for the usage?..

10MHz was introduced about 30years ago to HamRadio and 18/24MHz later.
At that time, all the WARC bands were 2nd use for Ham Radio operation.
So IARU guided to member societies not to use them for the contest
because of the interfarence to the first use by professional communications.
Then 18/24MHz were opened for Ham Radio as the 1st use but the band are
rather nallow for the contests.

Here is the information I've been looking for...
"IARU official Resolution on 10MHz"
Thanks to Brett, VR2BG for this info

http://www.iaru.org/ac-respol.pdf
(Page 9 of 48)

RESOLUTION 88-2(Revised 1990 and 1999)
The IARU Administrative Council, Seoul, October 1988,
recognizing that the allocation to the Amateur Service of 10.1-10.15 MHz
is unique, in that it is the only high-frequency allocation to our service
that is on a secondary basis, noting that the band is narrow, and in many
parts of the world is occupied by stations of the Fixed Service, which have
priority, and further noting that harmful interference to stations in the
Fixed Service by stations in the Amateur Service could result in the
imposition of additional restrictions on amateur operation, and even in
loss of the band,
resolves 1. that member-societies should seek to have their administrations
relocate fixed stations outside the 10.1-10.15 MHz band, on a national basis;
2. that amateurs using the band shall limit themselves to narrow-band, non-voice
emissions except as necessary for temporary emergency and disaster relief
communications;
3. that contest activity shall be prohibited in the band; and
4. that member-societies shall avoid creating incentives, such as special
awards, for operating in the 10 MHz band that could result in interference
to stations operating in the Fixed Service.
====

And I found the comments on eHam.net
"Contesting on the WARC bands?"
Jack Brabham (KZ5A) on December 21, 2002

I read those many comments and knew many contesters and non-contesters
have not been interested in the contest on WARC bands.
Most of them said, "Keep WARC bands for the Contest FREE".

There are some comments that ARRL accepts WARC bands QSO for their DXCC
credits this seems to be against on #4, so why not contest...? I don't know.

If the bands will be widen, then the WARC band contest will be re-consider
at that time.
        ---------
        Tack Kumagai JE1CKA/KH0AM
        JE1CKA <je1cka@gmai.com>