Re: [CQ-Contest] ETHICS

To: "'Steve Sacco'" <nn4x@embarqmail.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ETHICS
From: "Marty Durham" <w1md@cfl.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 19:09:46 -0400
The "sticky wicket" here is that you don't necessarily 'know' that someone
is operating out of their license restrictions...unless you verify against a
current license data base.

Sure, if you are a US ham operating in the Caribbean and are running SSB at
21.170 and a bunch of US stations call in you will know (or SHOULD) they are
out of band...but if you are that same US licensee operating in the US at
say 21.020 you don't know which US stations are extra's and which are not.
So, I don't see a brother's keeper scenario here. We are all EXPECTED to
honor our license restrictions...there is nothing that prevents a general
from tuning his radio to 21.020 and calling CQ... In bygone days the specter
of the "Friendly Candy Company" sending you a little note about your
operating practice was enough to keep folks in line.

If you know someone is operating out of their license restrictions it never
hurts to remind them...but the ONUS is on the LICENSEE, not the person being
called.

I was amazed at how many US stations would call in the first time I operated
PJ2T (@ 21.170 working EU)...but it happens every time. I 'remind' them they
are out-of-band and continue on my way...working EU.

...and not to make excuses for anyone...but many of today's logging programs
make it far too easy to point-and-shoot and if you do not have your band
restrictions setup, it is very easy to "grab a spot" for a station that is
out of the US band and voila...K1--- calling PJ2T, you are ................

73,

Marty
W1MD