Re: [CQ-Contest] ETHICS

To: "'Tonno Vahk'" <tonno.vahk@mail.ee>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ETHICS
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 20:32:14 -0400
I think most of your analysis is correct, but your identification of each
station's license class may not be correct. Per my previous post, you can't
determine the operating privileges of a US contest participant from the call
sign. The FCC rules allow the person operating the radio to use the
privileges of the "control operator", who doesn't have to be the person who
owns the call sign being used. It can be one of the other operators or just
a person standing around in the room. I'm sure in most cases the call sign
being used is that of the control operator, but not always.

I think the reason for the high percentage of Extra class contacts is that
US contesters have strong incentive to get our Extra class license so we can
work the entire US band allocation. In other words, I think you'll find that
a high percentage of US participants are Extra class licensees.

73, Dick WC1M

Of