Re: [CQ-Contest] Categories, Participation and Competition

Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Categories, Participation and Competition
From: "John T. Laney III" <k4bai@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 12:58:29 -0400
The only reservation I have about short recognition periods in contests
is the possibility that it encourages people to operate only 6 hours (or
12 or 24) and quit, when they would have operated longer and made more
contacts otherwise.  My approach is to operate all the hours I can spare
from other activities and then enter the category that fits.  So,
sometimes I am in the 12 hour group for IOTA and sometimes in the 24
hour group, but not because I am trying to win either, but because that
is the time I had available.

This is a good time to mention that it is a good practice to send in a
log for a contest when you make only a few QSOs and were not a serious
entrant.  It does encourage the sponsors, it helps to check logs, and
for a few contests only, it allows the guys you work to get credit for
contacts that otherwise wouldn't count for their final score.

73,

John, K4BAI.