Re: [CQ-Contest] 10 minute rule explained

To: "'CQ Contest'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 10 minute rule explained
From: "Ron Notarius W3WN" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 21:59:28 -0400
Why not?

The essence of the "10 minute rule" -- be it as little as 2 minutes or as
many as 30 -- is to ensure that an M/S or M/2 station actually be an M/S or
M/2.

Otherwise, a self-appointed would-be quasi-lawyer-type will insist that so
long as at any given moment, only 1 transmitter (transceiver) is actually
transmitting, a station using two different rigs on two different bands is
very technically a M/S--M/2 -- even though in reality it's a M/M.

And the rule was put in place because of that very abuse of the intent of
the M/S category.  Anyone else remember The Octopus and similar
transmit-lockout schemes?

A Boy & His Radio should remain A Boy & His Radio, even when A Boy has his
Friends over!  And A Boy & His Friends & Their Radios Together are NOT A Boy
& His Friends & A Radio!  (Sorry Hans for the turn of the phrase)

73