Re: [CQ-Contest] 10 minute rule explained

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 10 minute rule explained
From: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kenharker@kenharker.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 07:45:30 -0700
     Plus, a ten-minute rule, like a other manadtory off-time rule, adds
elements of strategy that require excellent decision making to maximize score.
A station has to be constantly asking itself if a band change is worth the
ten minute price.  It makes the strategic decision making during the contest
more important and thereby makes the category different and perhaps more
interesting.

     If you dislike that more complex decision-making, there are other
categories you can enter.

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 09:59:28PM -0400, Ron Notarius W3WN wrote:
> Why not?
>
> The essence of the "10 minute rule" -- be it as little as 2 minutes or as
> many as 30 -- is to ensure that an M/S or M/2 station actually be an M/S or
> M/2.
>
> Otherwise, a self-appointed would-be quasi-lawyer-type will insist that so
> long as at any given moment, only 1 transmitter (transceiver) is actually
> transmitting, a station using two different rigs on two different bands is
> very technically a M/S--M/2 -- even though in reality it's a M/M.
>
> And the rule was put in place because of that very abuse of the intent of
> the M/S category.  Anyone else remember The Octopus and similar
> transmit-lockout schemes?
>
> A Boy & His Radio should remain A Boy & His Radio, even when A Boy has his
> Friends over!  And A Boy & His Friends & Their Radios Together are NOT A Boy
> & His Friends & A Radio!  (Sorry Hans for the turn of the phrase)
>
> 73

Kenneth E. Harker WM5R
kenharker@kenharker.com
http://www.kenharker.com/