[CQ-Contest] Who is to blame?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Who is to blame?
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 10:49:50 -0700
Interesting discussion and good points all around.  AB7E nailed down
something that was bugging me in all of this:

> Why is there WAY more indignation being heaped upon the contest committee
> than on the identified cheaters?

Bingo.  The conetest committee didn't create the problem that is trying
to be fixed here.

For all of those of you who play by the rules and feel like this new
concept is an invasion of your privacy - I would say that this rule is
not intended to be used to inspect you.  If you are playing by the rules
- there is probably no strong evidence to suggest you aren't and therefore
you would never be the target of an inspection.  I am sure any inspections
need to go through some sanity check to make sure the resources required
to actually do one are well spent.

This rule is intended for people who are likely not playing by the rules,
but we have no other way to prove it other than monitoring them (in a
similar manner as WRTC).  This concept is brand new and probably far from
perfect, but it's a step.

Probably the biggest impact of the rule will be some sort of deterrent.
Certainly this isn't an easy tool to use - but perhaps there will be
fewer people operating contrary to the rules with it around.  The cops
don't catch all the speeders out there - but a lot less people are speeding
because they know they might be caught.

So - my comment to those who are not cheating - I would hope you see this
as an attempt to make sure you are not being beat by someone who has their
own interpretation of what is right and wrong.

73 Tree N6TR
tree@kkn.net

"These are my own personal views and do not necessarily represent the views of
any of the contest organizations I am a member of - including the CQ WW Contest
Committee."