Re: [CQ-Contest] Station Inspections - A Cheater Confesses

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Station Inspections - A Cheater Confesses
From: Ken Alexander <k.alexander@rogers.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 19:11:47 -0700 (PDT)
Folks,

All this talk of cheating and station inspections has been weighing heavily on
my conscience these last few days.  I think it's time to come clean; I'm a
cheater!

You see, a few weekends ago in the NAQP-CW I ran illegal power.  In my defense,
I was having trouble getting my auto tuner to tune after a band change, so I
dialed up the power a bit, which often helps.  It wasn't until later that I
noticed that I was running (sitting down?) 5.7 watts in the QRP category, which
as we know has a 5 watt limit.

At first I felt ashamed for running 14% over the limits set out in the contest
rules.  Then I had to admit it felt kinda good, sort of like driving 83 km/hr
in an 80 zone.  I was an outlaw!

Then safety concerns crept in; what if all that extra power makes my 24 foot
random wire glow red hot?  It might set the birch tree I tossed the wire into
on fire!  Yikes!  I quickly backed off.

So, CQ Guys.  I guess I'm at the top of the hit list now.  I had it coming...no
one to blame but myself.  Just give me a little notice if you come over; I'll
put on some coffee.  My highest rate in NAQP was 4 Q's per hour but I hope to
do 25% better in CQWW-CW.  I figure we'll still have plenty of time to chat
between QSOs!

73,

Ken Alexander
VE3HLS