[CQ-Contest] New Contesters & CQ-Contest

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] New Contesters & CQ-Contest
From: K1AR@aol.com
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 15:24:35 EDT
All,

Most of can become pretty passionate when we think about the topic of new
contesters. We remember our early days of operating and the enjoyment we had
at  that time (and hopefully still today!). A few of us might even recall
when there  was a sunspot or two.

In light of the above, I'd like you to consider a concept. If you were a
new contester and fell into the CQ-Contest list this week, would you be
motivated to become more involved? In recent months (or maybe longer), we have
not put our best foot forward. Frankly, at the moment, this is the last
place I would send a newcomer.

While the spirited dialog we enjoy is valuable to a point, it often  turns
into name calling and unproductive satire. If I were a new contester
subscribing to a contest list, I'd be more interested in topics like: how to
maximize low antennas in a solar minimum, ways I can stretch my contest budget,

how to get involved in clubs, where I can find resources to learn more, how
to  choose between running and S&P. The list is endless.

So, I'd like to suggest something for all of us to consider. Before your
contribute your valuable experience in written form that will make your
CQ-Contest peers say, "Wow -- what a cool post!" Never stop voicing your
opinions,
but do it in a way that is constructive and avoids personal  attacks.

I may be off base here, but I'm willing to bet there is merit in taking a
breath from the mean-spirited nature that makes it to this channel from
time-to-time. A mailing list is only as good as its participants' positive
contributions. I, for one, am anxious to return to the roots of this list that
Trey, N5KO, started many years ago.

Thanks for reading.

73 John, K1AR