Re: [CQ-Contest] New Contesters & CQ-Contest

To: CQ-Contest@CONTESTING.COM
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] New Contesters & CQ-Contest
From: jpescatore@aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 07:42:36 -0400
I remember in the early 90's when George (WB5VZL at the time) and I (WB2EKK at
the time) kept lists of contester email addresses and then Trey (WN4KKN at the
time) started up CQ-CONTEST (@tgv.com at the time) within mere weeks there were
endless threads about the 10 minute rule, packetcluster as the death of DXing
and contesting skills and so on. Having been off the air for most of the last
10 years, it has been interesting to see the same threads still in progress
here! Sort of like on 75 phone the same guys (with new callsigns) seem to be
having the same QSOs they were having back then when I'd pop up on there during
SSB Sprints.

This type of problem is pretty much endemic to the medium. The original FAQ for
CQ-CONTEST said "Eschew flamage.If someone sends a flame to the list and you
can't bite your tongue, send your flaming reply directly back to the
flamingindividual, not back to the list. No one wants to pay $1.00 to read
these messages (the original flame + your reply).  Treat flamers the?way you
would 2-meter repeater jammers - ignore them."

The way this is always handled is either to open up a moderated list or people
just devolve back to private email lists. But a small increase in flamage
eschewal and large increases in direct replies and tongue-biting can go a long
way.

John K3TN