Re: [CQ-Contest] Self spotting

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Self spotting
From: Jimk8mr@aol.com
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 00:05:54 EDT
A thought:

What if the worldwide cluster system allowed X number of spots per  hour
for any one station, or a minimum time between spots, for any station,
whether spotted by others or self spotted?

What if spotting became something controlled by the spottee, rather than
left to altruistic whims of those who feel like it?  What if guys doing SS
in Ohio got spotted as often as guys in Puerto Rico or Wyoming?

What if PJ2T could not take advantage of its many alumni around the world,
eager to put in a good word (or a good spot) for their friends back  there?
 As Tree wondered, would it be bad if VE8EV could get spotted  without
having to wait for a kind soul to post the spot?

================

Even in CW SS, in the course of my four station tour and consequent "fresh
meat" time, I can tell when I've been spotted, as the reasonable pileup
becomes  a madhouse with usual suspect calls of big time multis and U-class
guys.

73  -  Jim   K8MR

In a message dated 10/26/2009 11:32:44 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
hank.k8dd@gmail.com writes:

On Mon,  Oct 26, 2009 at 4:28 PM, Tree <tree@kkn.net> wrote:

>  However, I can think of a situation where self spotting might be a  good
> thing.  I was reading VE8EV's 3830 post after the SSB  Sweepstakes last
> year and caught this comment:
>
>  "Finally we got spotted and then the rate jumped from 0 to 100 in the
>  blink of an eye."
>
> Wow.  That's a big change.  Probably when the pileup started - it
> attracted enough attention  that even those not on packet knew something
> was up.  If someone  is off in a weird direction and isn't able to attract
> attention with  their small signal - having a spot certainly enables them
> to start  making QSOs.
>
> I wouldn't think someone from VE8 is likely to be  a top ten score and
> the reason they are on the air is to give people a  clean sweep.  Is this
> a case where a self spot or two wouldn't be  bad thing?
>
> 73 Tree N6TR

I've experienced that  several times from Central & South America where
the rate meter jumped  from 0 to 100 .... more realistically from maybe 20
150 or so in 30  seconds due to "hitting the cluster".  But I really
don't think  that
justifies self spotting.
But then we were well up in the top 10 in  our class.

73    Hank     K8DD