Re: [CQ-Contest] Self spotting

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Self spotting
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 21:25:46 -0700
I'm not going to even touch the subject of spotting (self or otherwise)
in general, but within a contest it seems to me that this entire
discussion about what is proper and what isn't totally misses the
point.  The contest sponsors, assuming they publish comprehensive and
unambiguous rules, determine what is proper and what isn't.  Tradition
might indeed have an influence on everyone's perspective, but it's not a
matter of ethics.  It doesn't even matter if the rest of us feel some
aspects of the rules make less sense than others ... they are what they
are.  Where we as participants get in trouble is when the rules are
non-specific or unclear and we have to interpret them based upon our own
biases.

If the use of other people's spots is explicitly allowed (for assisted
categories) but self-spotting is specifically prohibited for everyone,
so be it.  If we don't like it we can always try to lobby for a change
or organize our own event, but it seems to me that trying to argue for
or against well-written rules on moral grounds has very little
justification.

73,
Dave   AB7E