Re: [CQ-Contest] A couple of post-CQWW observations

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] A couple of post-CQWW observations
From: PD2R <pd2r.maarten@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 17:29:46 -0700 (PDT)
I really enjoyed this CQ WW contest. We participated in the M/2 category en
made a little short of 5600 Q's
We got spotted on the cluster once as being deaf. We had our 5 over 5 stack
towards the US but is was very difficult to pull out the weak ones. The
spotter claimed there where a dozen stations calling us but we kept calling
CQ. I'm sorry for that but in these crowded band conditions you can't work
them all.
That doesn't mean we won't give it a try ;-)
We also got one "good ears" comment on 40 so I guess that compensates a
little.

About the those zone numbers, they are not that hard to copy. If I can hear
it loud en clear is see no need to repeat it. If I'm in doubt, I'll repeat
it en check if I understood it correctly. I will loose points too is I don't
copy them correct.

If I have a good run with multiple stations answering my CQ, I try to work
them a fast as possible:
"PI4DX contest"
"X0YZ"
"X0YZ 59 14"
"Thanks you are 59 05"
"Thanks PI4DX"
And work the next one.

If things are going slow I usually finish up with "Thank you", "good luck",
73 or a combination. I only try to say "good luck" to contester who are not
in the M/2 category because after all, it's a contest and I do like to win
one of these day's ;-)

I hope that's not being rude by your standards, I'm just trying to be
efficient.