[CQ-Contest] K1EL Winkeyer USB Problems

To: <richard@karlquist.com>, <jmaass@k8nd.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] K1EL Winkeyer USB Problems
From: "Brad Hedges" <bdhedges@hughes.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 21:46:33 -0600
The USB WinKey uses a (really, "the") industry standard FTDI USB to TTL
converter chip. It handles all the many details of USB communications with
our PCs (sic), allowing the hardware to use a very simple logic connection
to the USB chip.

While the PC sees a com port, there are very good reasons to continue to use
this interface over a "true" USB solution. What many (most, I'm sure) people
who don't fool with embedded systems don't realize is, that in order to sell
a USB product, the manufacturer must purchase an enumeration file code, to
the tune of ~ $1,000. For the very small quantities involved in Ham gear in
general, but with K1EL (or any other small producer) in particular, the
economies are simply not there. To increase the price of each unit he ships
by $5 or so would just not be practical.

I'm not associated with K1EL in any way, other than as a very satisfied
customer of both an original and a USB/HV version of his great keyer, but I
have read several comments, in several places, over the past few years that
I've been messing around with microchips, and really wanted to get the word
out. It's relatively easy to create a true USB connection using microchips,
but as hobbyists, we really can't afford to get the "right" to sell things.

Two major improvements of the USB WinKey over the original are dual outputs,
each with its own PTT line, and the High-Voltage option which is able to
directly key many older rigs and amps with much higher PTT voltage/current
requirements.

HTH, and vy 73,

Brad
KM5MM

<snip>

IMHO, what we really need is a true USB Winkey interface.
Rick N6RK