Re: [CQ-Contest] IARU band plans - just what are they?

To: CQ-Contest MailList <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] IARU band plans - just what are they?
From: Don Field <don.field@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 17:47:07 +0000
The IOTA Contest has a rule requiring adherence. It is difficult to "prove"
non-adherence but there is often strong evidence (especially when there is
full-frequency logging by one or both stations). We also monitor the contest
when the opportunity arises.

So far we have not penalised any entrant for non-adherence, but we have
shown in the Adjudication Report (our equivalent to the CQ UBN) the number
of transgressions and indicated that penalties will be applied in future
years. This robust approach has already resulted in a significant reduction
in contest operation outside the recommended sub-bands, rather suggesting
that many people had not previously read the rules but had simply assumed a
total free-for-all.

The RSGB does, from time to time, receive complaints from members who find
thei enjoyment of the bands constrained at weekends due to contest activity.
It is all very well to say "use the WARC bands" but for phone-only
operators, that leaves you with 18MHz upwards - not too helpful for local
nets, etc. So I do believe contesters need to show some moderation and we
(the RSGB Contest Committee) are trying to lead by example in this respect.

Incidentally, we also apply contest sub-bands in our local (UK only) 80m
events, and adherence is almost 100% and pretty much self-policing - any
contester calling CQ outside those bands is quickly jumped on by fellow
contesters who suspect him or her of trying to gain an unfair advantage!

Don Field G3XTT
RSGB Contest Committee Chairman