Re: [CQ-Contest] Is it time to reevaluate CQWW Scoring Rules?

To: "David Kopacz" <david.kopacz@aspwebhosting.com>, "Andrew" <ac6wi@comcast.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Is it time to reevaluate CQWW Scoring Rules?
From: "Stan Stockton" <stan@aqity.org>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 11:00:02 -0600
> I am very interested in ideas how the scoring system could be changed
> in
> a manner that gives everyone a fair chance to win, regardless of
> location.
>
> David ~ KY1V

We are talking about a World Wide DX Contest where US and DX compete to
see who can win the world.  It is not a given that the winner is going
to be from outside the USA.  Do you believe the scoring system should be
changed in this contest so someone in Northwest Wisconsin should be on
par with a similarly equipped station and operator in the Carribean?
What would that take - making counties in Wisconsin count as multipliers
and not allowing the Carribean stations to work Europe?

It was a long shot that K3LR would win in the M/M category for the
world, but he did and I bet it was a very special victory.

Personally, I like the CQ WW Contest just the way it is and don't think
the rules should be changed at all.  I certainly would not want the
rules to change so the log would be filled with W/VE contacts.  Even
though it would be to my relative advantage, the W/VE contest is
Sweepstakes.

Not saying this is what happened but for  example, if the GI0KOW log is
filled with about a thousand contacts that are all a chip shot away
(less than a thousand miles), do you really think he should have won
based on his (really good) QSO total?  How far is GI0KOW from Germany
(600 miles or so?) where about 20% of all the European contacts come
from.  Is he within a thousand miles of 75 % of all European contacts?

I do wish a NEW all band DX contest existed with the same rules as the
Stew Perry Contest with all contacts based on distance, no contacts
allowed within your own country, perhaps a little bonus for lower band
contacts like WPX and countrry multipliers to make it even more
interesting.  I think it would quickly become very popular and would
certainly be fair in the scoring department.  EVERYONE would feel like
there was truly worldwide competition.  The CQ Contest, however, should
not be changed, but instead enjoyed for what it is.

An interesting exercise (N6TR) would be take a few logs from the CQ WW
Contest, come up with a database of grid squares based on the callsign
database and score those logs using the Stew Perry Contest rules.  I am
sure it would make me feel better about our relative score from Arkansas
:-)

Stan, K5GO