Re: [CQ-Contest] TS-850SAT -- interesting rig for contesting

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] TS-850SAT -- interesting rig for contesting
From: Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 20:59:08 -0600
When I got my 850, the first thing I did was the mod to open up the
transmit for the full range so i could use it with a VHF transverter
that had a 22 MHz IF. This was before we got the 60 meter band, so I
was ready when we got it. At the same time, I also did the mod to
remove the broadcast band attenuator and also the noise blanker mod,
which involved changing a couple capacitors. All these were well worth
it.

I've since put in the INRAD filters for CW. I don't plan on doing the
INRAD roofing filter mod because it kills the excellent audio quality
of broadcast reception and I also use the radio for SWL'ing and tuning
the LF bands.

The last thing I will probably do to it is replace the battery for the
memory with one in a coin cell holder and replace the caps that go bad
and leak electrolyte on the PC board before that happens. I hope to
get many more years out of it.

73, Zack W9SZ