Re: [CQ-Contest] AO8HQ vs DA0HQ - ARRL did the worse in two decisions

To: José Nunes CT1BOH <ct1boh@gmail.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>, <k1zz@arrl.net>, "Kutzko, Sean, KX9X" <kx9x@arrl.org>, <K0GW@arrl.org>, <nn1n@arrl.org>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] AO8HQ vs DA0HQ - ARRL did the worse in two decisions
From: "Radio K0HB" <kzerohb@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 22:25:27 -0000
Jose'

In addition to the points you make, there are some other troubling points in
the ARRL "statement".  (The statement is issued in the name of the "Awards
Committee", but in my experience such public statements are carefully
crafted, each word deliberately selected, and are passed for the approval of
the "highest levels" of ARRL leadership.)

NN1N writes:  "....far too much emphasis has been placed on a competition
that is essentially meaningless. Comparing the results of different national
HQ teams, especially across continental boundaries, is comparing apples and
oranges....."

Never mind that this phraseology ("essentially meaningless") is insulting on
it's face, "comparing the results" between ANY stations is to some extent
"comparing apples and oranges".  The mythical "level playing" does not
exist, so if you carry this notion to it's logical end, ALL competition
could be deemed "essentially meaningless".

NN1N writes: ".... by submitting a log the submitter agrees that the log may
be made public...."

Many contesters, including me, have allowed our CQ subscriptions to expire
because of CQs' decision to release our logs to the public.  I still
participate in CQ contests, purely for the love contesting, but my logs are
not submitted.  Will contesters similarly withhold funds and logs from ARRL?

And finally NN1N writes: "The ARRL will not engage in further correspondence
with regard to the 2009 IARU HF World Championship...."

This attitude of "We've made up our mind, so further discussion of this
matter is a waste of our time" is astounding, especially from an
organization which depends primarily on the good will of it's rank-and-file
membership to support its' continued existence.

73, de Hans, K0HB
--
"Just a boy and his radio"
--